Thursday, May 8, 2008

Don't tell me it ain't broke...

I am amazed that anyone in America would find this surprising. But then, my family pays almost 25% of our income to have health insurance, so I guess it's a hot button for me.

Why did you get married? For the health insurance...

If you are lucky enough to not have to think twice about going to the doctor when you feel something is not right, please understand how lucky you are.

If you can take your child to the doctor when he is sick without worrying about how you will pay to keep the lights on or buy groceries, you probably sleep a lot more soundly than 47 million of your friends and neighbors.

And if you are fortunate enough to find and able to keep a job that pays all or part of your healthcare premiums, I am happy that you are free of that huge burden. I hope you have the extra blessing that it's also a job you enjoy, rather than one you hate but have to keep for the coverage.

Please, please do not assume that all of those 47 million are people who don't want a job that has benefits, or just want someone else to foot the bill. Please understand that your physical and mental abilities, your education, your network of friends and acquaintances, your God-given talents, and your good fortune (in addition to your hard work) are blessings that have kept you out of that situation.

No comments: