Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Truth About Motherhood

I really wish I'd caught this episode of Oprah a few weeks ago, though you can pretty much catch anything you missed in real time on the web these days. I think it is such an awesome example of women trying to understand each other rather than compete with one another - stay at home moms and working moms, women with kids and women without kids (by choice or not), single, married, divorced, widowed - whatever. There is certainly great truth behind the statement that motherhood changes you forever, but it's also true that you're still the same person you were before motherhood and you still have needs, roles and passions outside being a mother that need tending to. Ironically, and thankfully, it seems that nurturing our non-mommy selves really helps us be better mothers. Go figure.

You can read a recap of the episode here:

The Truth About Motherhood

Two of the guests were Trisha Ashworth and Amy Nobile, authors of I Was a Really Good Mom Before I Had Kids. Just the truth in that title brings me a good laugh and a sigh of relief all at once.



Okay, this post is driving me nuts because I cannot fix the font on that first paragraph! Sorry if it's hard to read!

No comments: