How are we doing women any favors by having such low expectations for Sarah Palin???
All the praise I’ve heard about her performance last night fits into two categories:
1) She really came across as “folksy”
2) She was really artful at deflecting questions she didn’t want to or didn’t know how to answer.
I would wholeheartedly agree with these evaluations. But I wouldn’t then proceed from them to say she “won” the debate and the confidence of the American people. Did anyone else feel talked down to in her “folksiness”? Wasn't anyone else disappointed at the lack of substance on the issues in her deflection?
I literally just heard a radio show host on CNN say, “Hey, she really won over the everyday people. She showed she was able to string together full sentences, which now makes her defendable in a way she wasn’t before last night.”
Seriously? Well, to borrow Palin's "folksy" phrase, "Bless her heart!" There really wasn't much place to go but up after the Katie Couric interviews, was there? I really hope the first woman executive in the White House gets there by winning voters with more than phrases like "Joe Six Pack" and calling her opponent by his first name.
When they called me strict, I used to tell the teenage girls I worked with: “I wouldn’t be doing you any good to have low expectations of you.” We're not putting Country First by having such low expectations of Sarah Palin.
No comments:
Post a Comment