Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Blog Endorsement and a Sidenote

One of the first blogs I started reading regularly was Dawn Meehan's account of life as a mom to six kids. I found it first by reading her hilarious Ebay listing forPokemon cards, that became her claim to fame...she reposted it here: http://mom2my6pack.blogspot.com/2007/08/adventures-in-grocery-shopping.html

No, I don't shop Ebay for Pokemon cards. Someone posted it on a message board. I love Dawn because she is an awesome writer and because I admire her counter-cultural lifestyle of happily raising six kids in such a tiny house. Too many consumer-minded Americans wouldn't dream of raising two with less than 2000 sq. ft.

I thought I'd share this one with all of you, because it's probably one of the most generally entertaining and least controversial blogs that I frequent. Blogs on Religion and Politics are probably the ones I read the most, but I want to keep this blog a friendly place for all my friends and family to look at cute pics of my kid without being offended or turned off by some of my deeper musings. Most people who know me know I have this "wonderful" paradoxical set of traits; having strong convictions and being completely averse to and avoidant of confrontation and conflict with people I care about. So, I'll probably give out unnecessary warnings when I post something I know some of you won't agree with.

It is an art to learn to disagree respectfully, and to stand firmly enough on your own ground that others' attacks or disappointments can't shake you. My friend Marge is my role model in this; she is her own person with such grace. For more (insert unnecessary warning about a most controversial "patriotism" debate), see Marge's post from today. ("Bill Mitch," who disagrees with her by saying he hopes Al Qaeda's next attack happens wherever she is, is hopefully not a role model to anyone.)

No comments: