Sunday, June 15, 2008

Work

So, now that I'm back to work as a paralegal for a while, I feel the need to keep reminding myself of some of the work that I do that can't pay all our bills, but is work that is truly meaningful to me. I enjoy being a paralegal as a job, but I feel that I was born to work in pastoral and ceremonial ministry. It is the vocation where I feel all my best skills and qualities come together - where my gifts meet the world's need.

Some days, when I need this reminding, I wear a very special locket. It was given to me by a mother who lost her baby and asked me to prepare and conduct a funeral to lay her little one to rest. I will cherish it forever. Every time I see it in the mirror, I am reminded of the sacred work I am entrusted with, and the privilege of walking with people in the most sacred moments of their lives. I am reminded of what I am here to do!

Fortunately, I've found an outlet to share not only life's deepest sorrows but also life's greatest joys with people. Serving as an officiant with Journeys of the Heart has been such a blessing and privilege for me. The couples and families I have met have each left something special with me, not to mention the amazing group of officiants who inspire and motivate me in so many ways.

Though HIPAA prevents me from sharing much of what happens in my chaplaincy work, I look forward to hopefully sharing more of my Journeys work on the blog, including photos and recaps of recent weddings.

To start, here is a humbling thank you note I received a week or so ago from a really awesome couple. They also sent me some photos - check back soon...I'll scan them and put them in this post when I have time at home.

Dear Kelly -

Colton and I just wanted to thank you from the bottom of our hearts for the amazing ceremony that you put together for us! It was more than anything we could have ever hoped for! You stole the show - we received more compliments on you than on any other single component of our wedding - and it was certainly deserved! You are a gifted writer. I could not believe how seamlessly you wove together all of the topics we specified. The ceremony meant the world to us and it's something that we'll cherish forever. We cannot thank you enough for making our marriage ceremony so perfect...Thanks again and if you ever need a recommendation, just let me know!

All our best -
Kate and Colton
March 28, 2008

No comments: