...that Obama is going to follow through on these promises. I'm thankful that someone at this level of politics can see and truly cares about these realities. Thank God for the strong, loving women in his life who made him who he is!
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2008/06/obamas_remarks_to_working_wome.html
"As the son of a single mother, I also don't accept an America that makes women choose between their kids and their careers. It's not acceptable that women are denied jobs or promotions because they've got kids at home. It's not acceptable that forty percent of working women don't have a single paid sick day. That's wrong for working parents, it's wrong for America's children, and it's not who we are as a country."
...
"We can't afford an economy where folks keep working harder for less. We can't let the women in our workforce get paid even less for doing the same work. And we can't keep pushing more and more of the burden on to the backs of working parents who are struggling to balance their jobs and their family. Because what binds us together, what makes us one American family, is that we stand up and fight for each other's dreams, and for the dreams of all of our children.
I want my daughters to grow up in an America where they have opportunities that are even greater than their mother had, or their grandmothers, or their great grandmothers - an America where our daughters truly have the same opportunities as our sons.
Standing here today, I know that we have drawn closer to making this America a reality because of the extraordinary woman who I shared a stage with so many times throughout this campaign - Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton. And in the months and years ahead, I look forward to working with her to make progress on the issues that matter to American women and to all American families - health care and education; support for working parents and an insistence on equality. Because I want Sasha and Malia to grow up in an America where both work and family are a part of the American Dream, and where that Dream is available to all. That's why I'm running for President of the United States."
10 years ago
2 comments:
Kel, I wouldn't write off McCain on women's issues totally...[insert sarcasm here]
“They need the education and training, particularly since more and more women are heads of their households, as much or more than anybody else,” McCain said. “And it’s hard for them to leave their families when they don’t have somebody to take care of them."
He knows that women just want someone to take care of them. I mean... duh.
I'm hopeful he gets his butt handed to him in Nov (mccain, that is)
Even if the "them" that women don't have any one to take care is referring to their "families/children" and not themselves, he's got the problem wrong. Women are seeking education and training in droves and finding ways to make it work. The problem is the ones who have the education and training aren't getting paid as much as men with the same qualifications.
It's pretty tough to support your family and get more educated without any affordable and decent childcare. But let's not worry about giving those people tax breaks...we should give them to the rich people to "stimulate the economy."
Post a Comment