Friday, September 4, 2009

Greg's Arguments for Health Care Reform

My friend and former NT professor Greg Carey posted this today, and I thought it was a calmer, rational look than some of the emotional "debates" going on. I especially agree with 1, 5, 6 and 7. It still kind of blows my mind that people are so quick to point out that gov't doesn't run things well - like the post office, Social Security and Medicare. I mean, hello recent devastating recession and gov't bailouts of private industry? The private sector has not done much in the last decade to prove they can be trusted, and has surely proven that for many corporations, bottom line is making ridiculous amounts of money for a few at the expense of the well-being, health and security of many.

Why I'm for universal health care
by Greg Carey
Read more of Greg's stuff here
http://ntgeeks.blogspot.com
My status line yesterday generated quite the debate. I love y'all, but that's not what I was looking for on FB. So I'm posting this note, to which you're invited to say whatever you want. I won't argue back with anyone, but I do want to explain why I believe what I do.

1. I believe in community responsibility, rather than radical individualism. If a disabled child can't reach the toys, I believe you have to move the toys -- even if it costs a little to build a new toy box. I can't separate this conviction from my Christian outlook, in which the least of these take priority over my individual prerogatives.

2. The United States has done some wonderful things collaboratively. We created a public school system that was the envy of the world. We built an incredible highway system. We turned the Tennessee River from a scary flood machine into a source of affordable energy. We can respond to epidemics in unbelievable ways. Flawed as it is, our public university system remains the world's most innovative and productive. If we decide we have a common interest, we can do pretty much anything.

3. Did you know that the USA spends nearly twice as much per person on medical care than any other nation in the world?

4. And yet (did you know) that our health outcomes are among the worst in the G20? We're talking life expectancy, infant mortality, and so forth. We're #19, I believe.

5. Our peer nations all have affordable health care for everyone (and remember, with better overall outcomes). Most of their citizens believe, as I do, that it's an affluent society's duty to provide basic housing, education, and medical care to all their citizens. Most of them think we're nuts.

6. Unless you're genuinely rich, a medical crisis could ruin you financially.

7. I do not believe private is superior to public, or that the marketplace outperforms public, on this issue. Did you know that Medicare outperforms employment based private insurance in terms of customer satisfaction and access to care?* And the VA is in the top four overall plans?+ The thing is, we already have rationed health care. All health care is rationed. The problem is, our health care is rationed by people who have no interest in our health.

* http://tpmcafe.talkingpointsmemo.com/talk/blogs/oldengoldendecoy/2009/05/elderly-medicare-beneficiaries.php

+ http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS211409+16-Jan-2009+BW20090116

No comments: